Interviewing soon? Check out our blog page for tips and advice on your upcoming interview:
Development Project Manager
San Diego, CA
An established development and investment company with a sought-after culture of collaboration and valuing employees is looking to add a new Development Project Manager to their team.
The Development Project Manager (DPM) is a leader within the development team responsible for leading the execution of development projects from design development through construction and turnover to operations, in accordance with our Strategic and Business Plan objectives.
The DPM leads and executes development projects in the following key areas:
· Project leadership and execution
· Project scoping, planning, and communication
· Securing project permits and overseeing construction execution
· Managing project to achieve financial outcomes
PROJECT LEADERSHIP AND EXECUTION: The DPM achieves timely and cost-effective completion of development projects through effective communication and problem-solving, leading the participation and collaboration of multidisciplinary internal and external teams and efficiently identifying and using resources necessary to achieve multiple projects simultaneously.
· Guides project development through planning, approval, construction, and occupancy, anticipating and preparing for issues to avoid bottlenecks and successfully navigating through design, approval, and construction logistics.
· Effectively keeps others informed on project-related matters, aligning internal and external team members. Works “with the end in mind” to lead team with clarity of outcome and commitment to a shared purpose.
· Delegates work appropriate to the skills and competencies of other members of the development team and external resources. Leads the Assistant Project Manager in tracking schedule and budget items and executing delegated project elements necessary for project execution.
· Clearly communicates key project outcomes and focuses others’ efforts on “what matters” to effectively achieve them.
· Ensures projects meet quality and durability expectations consistent with long-term ownership and operation objectives.
PROJECT SCOPING, PLANNING, AND COMMUNICATION: Leads the development of clear project outcomes, achieving internal alignment on project scope and specifications consistent with the vision for each project focused on the customer experience. Executes project consistent with scope.
· Participates in conceptual design phase, gaining an understanding of the target customer lifestyle elements, key project design objectives, market research findings, and long-term property management considerations.
· Identifies and leads the selection of design and technical consultants necessary to execute project design and permitting, negotiates scope of consultant agreements, and leads Assistant Project Manager and/or department Administrator/Assistant to insure timely circulation and execution of master agreements/contracts/project authorizations with clearly articulated scope of services, deliverable obligations, and payment milestones.
· Partners with General Counsel to negotiate revisions to standard contract documents as needed, balancing risk protection with business expectations of the parties involved.
· Leads the development of product specifications, coordinating with architectural team, residential leasing and maintenance staff, and contractor/Construction Manager to ensure project cost-effectively meets expectations for durability, aesthetics, and customer experience.
· Reviews project documents at regular intervals for consistency with design objectives, and constructability. Engages third-party experts as needed for quality control, constructability review, value engineering, and technical specifications as needed (i.e., waterproofing, ADA standards, etc.).
· Secures and reviews reports, and technical studies as required, advising appropriate team members on design requirements, cost impacts, and other related considerations. Ensures consultant recommendations are consistent with current industry practices and scope/schedule/budget.
· Ensures project documents are current and updated throughout the bidding, value engineering, construction, and close out process. Leads the Assistant Project Manager and/or Department Administrator in document management. Oversees prompt review and response to submittals, RFI’s, change order requests, etc. by appropriate team members to ensure consistency with project objectives.
· Responsible for overseeing maintenance and organization of all documents and files (electronic and paper) by the Development Administrator.
· Monitors completion of tasks and proactively informs development team of the status of completion.
SECURE PROJECT PERMITS & OVERSEE CONSTRUCTION EXECUTION: Develops and maintains project schedule in conjunction with business plan goals, leading team to both achieveproject
approvals and execute construction in alignment with expectations. Anticipates and addresses potential delays communicating with leader on schedule changes.
· Responsible for prioritizing tasks and facilitating problem solving to eliminate project bottlenecks and ensure continuous project momentum towards completion goals. Seeks input from leader resources when assistance is needed to prioritize goals or tasks.
· Supports entitlement efforts as needed in partnership with the Land Planning and Entitlements Manager and/or Sr. Director – Entitlements.
· Leads the Assistant Project Manager and/or external consultants through permitting approval processes, securing permissions needed from local jurisdictions, utilities, and other regulatory agencies. Identifies critical issues and enlists support from internal resources (VP of Government/Community Relations, Sr. Director of Entitlements) to facilitate securing approvals.
· Leads Construction Manager in development of bid documentation, review, and selection of General Contractor. Provides direction to Construction Manager in negotiation of construction contract in partnership with the General Counsel.
· Identifies challenges to execution (i.e., design constraints, product availability, budget, etc.) and partners with leader to communicate and problem-solve to maintain project goals. Keeps leader informed of project progress and potential issues of concern.
· Serves as internal and external liaison with other departments and consultants, vendors, or contractors to contribute to the effective flow of communication.
· Coordinates and assists Construction Manager as needed to address implementation issues, ensuring strong lines of communication between design consultants, general contractor, and development team.
MANAGES PROJECT TO SUCCESSFUL FINANCIAL OUTCOMES: Develops and maintains project budget in conjunction with business plan parameters. Monitors budget and leads team to execute in alignment with budget expectations, anticipating and problem-solving to address potential cost overruns. Keeps leader informed and prepared on potential budget changes.
· Leads the preparation of the initial project budget and Acquisition Request in conjunction with internal resources. Provides regular budget updates, job cost revisions, and reports on project cost to complete and potential cost overruns.
· Reviews monthly job cost reports for accuracy and alignment with budget/cost to complete expectations.
· Communicates with RPM to ensure project proforma includes current and accurate revenue and operating expense projections.
· Reviews and approves project invoices, ensuring consultant billing accurately reflects work performed and terms of contractual agreement.
Ensures the preparation and processing of contract change orders (by Department Administrator/Assistant Project Manager) in a timely manner, ensuring changes are noted and budgets are monitored accordingly.
SITUATIONAL SELF LEADERSHIP: Utilizes SSL knowledge and skills and conducts regular one-on-one meetings with Manager to enhance effectiveness and satisfaction in job. Includes, but not limited to:
· Establishes and understands key responsibility areas, with agreement from Manager.
· Establishes and obtains agreement on annual goals.
· Conducts regular One-on-One meetings with Manager.
7+ years of development experience with a variety of project types
Bachelor's degree required
Strong workk-ethic and works well in a collaborative culture
Ability to travel